Position: Executive Director
Organization: Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative
Location: Nova Scotia, work from home
Report to: Board of Directors
Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative, a not for profit, is seeking an Executive Director, a dynamic, focused and self-motivated individual who is passionate about our local economy, local food, local producers and farmers’ markets.
This position is based in Nova Scotia with the ability to work from home on a flexible schedule. We are looking for someone with a sound knowledge and strong background in not-for-profits, project management, marketing, fundraising, finance and grant writing. The ideal candidate is someone who understands how to drive a not-for-profit cooperative forward.
The Executive Director is the lead of Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative and is responsible for the management and operations of our cooperative. Working with our Board of Directors they are responsible for the success and growth of our cooperative. They will help ensure our relevance to our community and members, accomplish our vision and mission and the continued financial sustainability of our cooperative.
The Executive Director provides support to the Board as it carries out its governance functions. The Executive Director conveys a positive, professional image and attitude regarding Farmers’ Market of Nova Scotia Cooperative, our sector, and demonstrates commitment to continued professional growth and development. The Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative is a movement by markets for markets, seeding growth and prosperity for farmers’ markets and their communities. Our not-for-profit cooperative is made up of more than 20 Nova Scotia farmers’ markets. Together, we’re working to create a dynamic farmers’ market sector cultivating healthy local economies, communities, and people across Nova Scotia. Since 2004, our cooperative has been building support and fostering success for farmers’ markets in Nova Scotia, as well as providing training and assistance to our member markets. Job Summary The executive director is the face of Farmers’ Markets of Nova Scotia Cooperative and the main point of contact. They are responsible for all general operations, management, and report to our elected board of directors.
• Management of staff, volunteers and contractors as needed
• Coordinate trainings, workshops, networking sessions
• Support our member markets, managers and their vendors
• Marketing/Promotions/Public Outreach
• Maintain relations with partners
• Cultivate new relationships with like minded organizations
• Grant writing/funding support/Fundraising
• Growing our membership
• Coordinate AGM
• Website Maintenance
• Maintain a home office
• Be available Monday-Thursday for communications (emails, phone calls)
• Access to a vehicle and possess a valid drivers license
• $35,000 annually
• Additional salary is available if funding secured
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following:
• 3-5 years experience as executive director in NFP or equivalent knowledge and
experience in a related field
• Project management
• Grant writing
• Marketing/Social media
• Working with Government
• Knowledge and involvement in local food and farmers’ markets
• Bachelor’s Degree in environmental studies/science, business, marketing
• Equivalent combination of education and experience will be accepted
• October 15, 2018
Closing Date for Applications
• September 7, 2018
E-mail your resume, cover letter, and three references merged into one document to our Board president, Ashley Marlin, at firstname.lastname@example.org, stating in the subject line the position you are applying for. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. However, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.